111 S. Independence Mall East, Suite 802, Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Job Position Type
The Preconstruction Executive is responsible for the daily management, supervision, coordination and successful completion of preconstruction efforts to meet the objectives (cost, time, phasing, etc.) of the associated preconstruction projects. Position also entails the cross management, mentorship, and business best practice coordination, development and execution between the base building and interiors preconstruction teams. This role is also responsible for understanding the decision factors while collaborating with others to develop a pre-sell plan and working to ensure the execution of the plan such that new business can be secured.
Essential duties + responsibilities
- Perform responsibilities with excellence in service, integrity and building relationships as exemplified in DAVIS core values.
- Lead construction cost estimating efforts on large, complex pursuits. Requiring active engagement, knowledge of the project details and development of the final work product.
- Effectively guide others in their management and involvement in cost estimating efforts on other pursuits.
- Lead and promote active collaboration with DAVIS’ in-house operations team members and our external clients to establish detailed and thorough construction cost estimates incorporating the required operational components to build the work.
- Meet with operations team to define the preconstruction service expectations and develop staffing plan, approx. effort required by team (hours) and expected cost to execute this effort.
- Monitor weekly labor reports and understand the workload of the team members for whom you are responsible to manage. Monitor reports and employee performances for efficiencies and output as compared to the number of hours invested to date.
- Quantity takeoff – proficiency and efficiency in takeoff software
- Compilation of thorough and detailed construction cost estimates at all phases of design – proficient in all trades.
- Strategy development for construction cost estimates and other preconstruction deliverables
- Coordinate with administrative staff to ensure the database is current with prequalified subcontractors
- Attend project pre-bid meetings, lead subcontractor walk-throughs and actively participate in preconstruction meetings.
- Develop agenda and lead internal project kick-off meetings
- Responsible for subcontractor / supplier coverage and effective communication and management
- Participate in the creation of proposal response documents
- Assist in the development of project schedules and approach strategies; coordinate with assigned Integrated Construction Group team members for 4D development
- Participate in the development of phasing, sequencing and site logistics strategies
LEADERSHIP + RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Develop, understand and enforce DAVIS’ Best Practices when it comes to our preconstruction services
- Ensure consistency between preconstruction groups, market sectors (as applicable) and by each employee
- Actively participate in the development and execution of the group business plan
- Help refine overall departmental processes and utilize lessons learned to inform future process and/or modifications to existing processes
- Educate team members on our processes and effectively explain why these processes are in place and the importance of the processes
- Collaborate with other IM+D and Estimating + Preconstruction leadership team members to ensure our collective staff of Coordinators, Engineers and Senior Engineers are actively engaged, not overloaded and effectively contributing to the success of the group and DAVIS
- Participate with the retention and recruitment of current and future DAVIS employees
- Conduct performance appraisals and recommend promotions and/or corrective actions required to foster the development of the staff
- Develop educational curriculum and actively participate in the education of DAVIS employees. Work to identify business development opportunities to apply the educational curriculum with external clients and business partners
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT + RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with business partners – owners, developers, owner representatives, tenants, brokers, design professionals and subcontractors / suppliers to inform our services and identify business opportunities
- Follow up with clients after the deliverable has been submitted for status update
- Actively participate in industry related networking events / organizations + DAVIS sponsored activities
- Encourage/mentor other team members in networking / DAVIS sponsored activities
DAVIS Common attributes
- Safety – Consistently works within DAVIS safety standards; promotes safety as a priority with coworkers, subcontractors and external clients
- team collaboration – Works effectively within their own team and across the organization; promotes team atmosphere and culture; has a positive, can do attitude
- Commitment to quality – Applies DAVIS standards to produce high quality work on a consistent basis; produces work that is accurate and reliable, actively demonstrates excellence in service; builds and maintains integrity as a core function of their job and in their relationships with others
- Champions DAvis business – Consistently markets DAVIS business within the scope of their job; actively seeks and / or supports new business opportunities; actively builds relationships and encourages others to do the same
Knowledge, Experience + Special Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field or equivalent construction experience
- At least twelve (12) years’ experience in estimating for commercial construction*
- Knowledge of principles and practices of engineering and construction management, including safety, quality, constructability, scheduling and sustainability standards*
- Solid presentation experience*
- Ability in developing good relationships with clients, design teams and subcontractors*
- Decision making, research and analytical problem solving skills*
- Time management with the ability to organize, assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands, and to work independently*
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and interact effectively at all levels within the organization*
- Proactive, creative, and collaborative problem-solving skills*
- MS Office – Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook experience*
- Experience estimating with a variety of building types
- Quantity Take-off software experience (On Screen Take-off or Sketch-up preferred)
- PDF editor software experience (Brava or Bluebeam preferred)
PHYSICAL JOB DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is responsible to maintain fitness-for-duty while holding the above described position and should be able to perform the essential tasks of the position in a safe, appropriate and effective manner. This refers to the physical, mental and emotional duties of the job.
Reaching above and below, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and bending. The employee must occasionally lift / carry / move up to 25 pounds. Manual dexterity to operate office equipment, file, and perform specialized skills. Needs a high degree of concentration in a busy office environment.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position may require some travel for conferences, educational sessions, and other company events.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to higher noise levels and hazardous working conditions when working at job sites. Safety precautions must be taken and resources will be provided.
This position is located at 111 S. Independence Mall East, Suite 802, Philadelphia , Pennsylvania. View the Google Map in full screen.