12530 Parklawn Drive
Job Position Type
The Estimating + Preconstruction Engineer is responsible for assisting the preconstruction and estimating teams in pursuing work through the development of proposal responses, providing preconstruction services, preparing competitive bid responses and compiling Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) presentations for negotiated projects.
Essential Duties + Responsibilities
- Perform responsibilities with excellence in service, integrity and building relationships as exemplified in DAVIS core values
- Participate in budget / bid assembly
- Quantity takeoff – exposure to takeoff software
- Scope writing and qualification development – proficient in divisions 9 – 14
- Collaborate with the project team in establishing comprehensive scopes of work incorporating operations standards
- Review documents for quality control
- Exposure to specific systems analyses and creation of Value Engineering and Alternates lists / logs
- Sub solicitation and communication / coordination
- Exposure to, and understand the differences between GMP’s and competitive bids
- Establish subcontractor / supplier relationships
- Assist in coordinating the distribution of documents
- Research and compile historical data for use in future budget preparation and competitive bids
- Become familiar with the subcontractor buyout process
- Attend design progress meetings and client presentations with other team members
- Attend project pre-bid meetings with other team members
- Responsible for sub coverage and effective communication and management for assigned trades
- Participate in the development of cost estimates of assigned projects; from concept through construction phase documents
- Solicit and review bids from subcontractors and material suppliers; analyze submitted responses to identify missing scope, listed qualifications, noted exclusions and work to compare equivalent bid submissions
- Coordinate with administrative staff to ensure the database is current with prequalified subcontractors
- Work closely with assigned Operations, ICG, CRG and other IM+D team members
- Begin building relationships with clients, design team members, and subcontractors
- Exposure to networking events and organizations
- Perform other duties as assigned
DAVIS Common Attributes
- Safety – Consistently works within DAVIS safety standards; promotes safety as a priority with coworkers, subcontractors and external clients
- Team Collaboration – Works effectively within their own team and across the organization; promotes team atmosphere and culture; has a positive, can do attitude
- Commitment to Quality – Applies DAVIS standards to produce high quality work on a consistent basis; produces work that is accurate and reliable, actively demonstrates excellence in service; builds and maintains integrity as a core function of their job and in their relationships with others
- Champions DAVIS Business – Consistently markets DAVIS business within the scope of their job; actively seeks and / or supports new business opportunities; actively builds relationships and encourages others to do the same
PHYSICAL JOB DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is responsible to maintain fitness-for-duty while holding the above described position and should be able to perform the essential tasks of the position in a safe, appropriate and effective manner. This refers to the physical, mental and emotional duties of the job.
Reaching above and below, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and bending. The employee must occasionally lift / carry / move up to 25 pounds. Manual dexterity to operate office equipment, file, and perform specialized skills. Needs a high degree of concentration in a busy office environment.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position may require some travel for conferences, educational sessions, and other company events.
The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to higher noise levels and hazardous working conditions when working at job sites. Safety precautions must be taken and resources will be provided.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities, physical job demands and working conditions associated with the job.
As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure. Because of this, DAVIS requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, DAVIS will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
- Decision making, research and analytical problem solving skills*
- Time management with the ability to organize, assess and prioritize multiple tasks, projects, and demands, and to work independently*
- Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, and interact effectively at all levels within the organization*
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture or related field or equivalent construction experience
- Zero (0) to four (4) years’ experience in estimating for commercial construction*
- MS Office – Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook experience*
- Plan reading experience
- Quantity Take-off software experience (On Screen Take-off or Sketch-up preferred)
- PDF editor software experience (Brava or Bluebeam preferred)
This position is located at 12530 Parklawn Drive Rockville, Maryland. View the Google Map in full screen.