DAVIS the company may have been
incorporated in 1966, but the Davis family has a long
history with the construction industry in the Washington,
DC area. Our current president, James (Jim) G. Davis
comes from a long line of local general contractors
and is proud to continue this family tradition.
Edwin W. Davis (1863-1942), Jim’s great-grandfather,
co-founded a construction company in 1915. He was predominately
a residential builder and built the Corby Estate (now
Strathmore Hall) and the original Brookings Institution.
In his time, Edwin was one of the top three builders
in Washington, DC and competed regularly with both Charlie
Tompkins and George Hyman.
During most of his career, Edwin L. Davis (1894 –1956),
Jim’s grandfather, helped run the family firm.
When he suddenly passed away, his children tried to
maintain the old firm but eventually one child, James
G. Davis, Sr., decided to start a new one.
In 1966, James G. Davis (1931–1990), Jim’s
father, started the James G. Davis Construction Corporation.
He bought a small house at 12500 Parklawn Drive in Rockville,
Maryland for the company headquarters and began to build
the business with an abundance of creativity, guts,
and sound judgment. He believed in hiring the very best
people, trusting them implicitly, and sharing the fruits
of the success of the business. He created many of the
business practices we use today and we owe much of our
current success to his genius.