302,300-SF base building renovation
74,300-SF below-grade parking garage
Douglas Development Corporation
Pei Cobb Freed & Partners Architects LLP
Shalom Baranes Associates
Located at the junction of 11th and F Streets NW, Washington DC, this project incorporated the renovation of four historic buildings with the construction of a new 12-story concrete structure to create one, cohesive, Class A office building. The new building sits on top of a five-story, below-grade parking structure with a ramp entrance on 12th Street. Deep excavation needed to accommodate this structure. The exterior skin of the building consists of a bronze curtainwall system below the third level and an aluminum and stone curtainwall system from the third through the twelfth levels. The existing buildings, dating back to the early 1900’s, are constructed of brick masonry and timber joist / terracotta flooring. The decorative features of the historic fabric that was restored include wood windows, exterior masonry, brown stone, ornamental copper, and galvanized sheet metal. The historic storefront was replicated with an aluminum system, decorative stone, and cast iron ornaments at the ground floor. The connection from new to historic structures culminates in a six-story atrium. Structural steel bridges connect the bronze and aluminum curtainwall system to the restored historic masonry buildings, all under the cover of a 110-foot skylight. This project won the Award of Excellence from the DC Preservation League.
Excellence in Historic Resources
Jim Tetro Photography